When did we start?
Self-Advocates United as 1 (SAU1) started in July 2007. Click here for our history
What is our mission?
The Mission of SAU1 is: To Support Self Advocacy of People with Disabilities for Positive Impact in Their Communities and in People’s Lives.
Why have a mission?
Our mission keeps us focused on doing what is important to us. We only will do the things that agree with our mission.
What does a perfect world look like?
We envision a world where individuals with developmental disabilities and their families are united to share knowledge, empower others, and use their voices to transform their lives and communities.
So, who leads SAU1?
SAU1’s leaders are people with disabilities who are passionate about self advocacy. Click here to meet our Board of Directors.
Why do they do this work?
“Self advocacy” is not just words to us. The way we live our lives proves that being self advocates and working together makes change happen in people’s lives and communities.
Where are SAU1’s members from?
SAU1’s members are from all across Pennsylvania.
What do SAU1’s members do?
We help each other and any people with disabilities and their families across PA. We hold letter-writing, e-mail, and phone workshops to help others learn how to advocate for change. We speak to anyone who will listen about people’s right to live the life they want and fight so everyone has that right.
SAU1 teaches people at many levels about full inclusion and rights for all people. How do we do this? Let us tell you!
- We rally! Everyone needs to “get it” - people with disabilities have the same human and civil rights as any one else!
Caption: SAU1 Board members on steps at a rally on the capitol steps.
- We share! We tell the true moving stories of people who do not have lives of choice and control, and share the powerful stories of people living full lives with the supports they need.
Caption: SAU1 Board Member Debbie Bonam bravely speaks at a rally.
- We advocate! We speak up for changes in our communities by visiting and contacting legislators and community leaders.
Caption: ODP Secretary Kevin Casey, Esther Kuhn, and DPW Secretary Harriet Dichter.
- We serve! Members serve on committees, go to meetings, and work with other groups to push for change.
Caption: SAU1 Board Members
- We just do it! We do whatever we can to help people unite for change!
SAU1 Vice President Carolyn Morgan and Attorney General Eric Holder