Every Day Life means that every person with disabilities has the right to have the same kind of life as anyone else. SAU1’s mission is to support the self advocacy of people with disabilities for positive impact in our communities and in people’s lives. To the SAU1 members, that means helping everyone to have an everyday life.
Parts of an Every Day Life:
- Living where you want
- Living with whom you want
- Having your own key to your home or room
- Eating what you want, when you want
- Choosing what you wear
- Having privacy when you want
- Choosing your own staff if you need staff support
- Choosing how you spend your time
- Having the job or volunteer work you want
- Having meaningful relationships
- Choosing whether you worship, and choosing how, when and where you worship
- Being part of the community of your choice
- Freedom of speech, to tell people what you want and need in your life without fear
- Having all of your rights respected
- Having access to all public places and services
- Being respected and accepted for what you can do and who you are; and
- Having the support you need to be independent
CLICK HERE to read about people who are living an Every Day Life.
Think about your life. Do you live an Every Day Life? If not, do you want to live an Every Day Life?
CLICK HERE to go to our page on Self Advocacy and learn how to speak up for what you want and need to live your Every Day Life.
CLICK HERE to learn about Self Determination – a way for you to have an Every Day Life.