“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal…with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”
United States Constitution, July 4, 1776.
Everyone is able to make decisions that affect their lives and everyone has that right. No one makes the best decisions all of the time. Some decisions may turn out well; some may not. Everyone has the right to let others know what they want in their own lives, and to be listened to and respected. That is why we believe in Self Determination.
SAU1 believes Self Determination has these main ideas:
• Freedom – the right to make your own choices and use your civil and human rights
• Authority - the right to decide how to spend money
• Support - the right to choose how you get help and who helps you
• Responsibility - the need to do things the right way
• Confirmation - you are living your life the way you want because you have been listened to and respected
In the United States, our Declaration of Independence says all people have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. SAU1 members believe this means being in control of our own lives. We are experts about our own lives. We have our own ideas and dreams on what support we need and how to get it. Other people have control over their lives, so why should we be any different?